You don’t need a referral from a doctor to have a breast screen.
Before you make an appointment
You should see your doctor before you make a breast screening appointment if:
- you’ve noticed any changes to your breasts
- you’re aged 40 to 49 or 75 and over
- you had breast cancer less than 5 years ago.
On the day of your appointment
- Don’t wear talcum powder or deodorant as it can affect the x - rays of your breasts.
- Wear a top and a skirt or pants so your bottom half is covered during screening.
- Arrive 10 minutes before your appointment time so we can process your paperwork.
- Bring your Medicare card with you if you have one.
Read more about what to do if you’re not eligible for a Medicare card.
Last updated:June 2021